Thursday, July 30, 2026

The Odyssey Controversy

(by) Mark Dempsey

Christopher Nolan's film The Odyssey has been in theaters for some time, and I went to see it. I have some complaints, but it was mostly enjoyable. I particularly like the way Odysseus (Latin: Ulysses) was penitent about the way his clever war-making was making the planet less safe, and contradicted "the law of Zeus." [spoiler:] He even ends up exiling himself from society to demonstrate his penitence.

But then I read some critical reviews of Nolan's Odyssey, particularly from those who read the Homeric poem in the original language. They basically said "Nolan's version is not Homer's." Among other things, Nolan's Odysseus is penitant, while Homer's original is an unrepentant thug, revelling in his bloody belligerence. The objectors to Nolan's version say it's puts a hopeful face on thuggery that Homer never did. 

At this point, I have to confess I'm puzzled. Shouldn't we celebrate at least backing off from making war? Is (realistically) accepting thuggery something to be celebrated, and anything that turns away from it is "hopium," designed to delude people?

My only quibble with Nolan's version is the "music," in quotes because it's just a bunch of kettle drums pounding away. I wear a hearing aid, and with the aid turned off the "music" in the theater I attended was still much too loud. Bring earplugs, and you probably won't be bothered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the objects if this blog is to elevate civil discourse. Please do your part by presenting arguments rather than attacks or unfounded accusations.

Visions, not blindness

I came across this link today Eye Implant That Restores Vision to the Blind Cleared for Sale Futurism  ...and was reminded of a story from...