Monday, January 22, 2018

A thought experiment in Fractional Reserve Lending

A Thought Experiment in Fractional Reserve Lending:
I see a really nice barbecue I’d like to buy, so, in anticipation of that purchase, I go to the bank to borrow $1,000. They lend me the barbecue money, and promise to charge no interest for six months. Through the miracle of fractional reserve lending here is the balance sheet:

Money lent
Note (the IOU)
Bank
Liability: $1,000 (a checking account)
Asset: My $1,000 IOU
Me
Asset: $1,000 in checking
Liability: My $1,000 IOU

Notice that the bank and I have, in effect, swapped liabilities. I’ve given them my IOU, and they’ve given me their checking account.

I’ve been waiting for the barbecue to go on sale, but about month three, I change my mind. I write the bank a check for $1,000, satisfying my IOU, and extinguishing my, and the bank’s, liabilities.

The big questions: Where did that $1,000 in my checking account come from, and what happened to the money when I wrote the bank a $1,000 check?

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the objects if this blog is to elevate civil discourse. Please do your part by presenting arguments rather than attacks or unfounded accusations.

Do Prisons Prevent Crime....really!? (the Comments edition)

 (c) by Mark Dempsey A previously published editorial of mine got some comments that are startling, if only because one commenter who read ...