Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Yoga Perspective and aging tips

The yoga perspective recognized that each of us is made up of a great many forces, feelings, limits, possibilities and passions. These aspects exist within my body and my mind and collectively define the boundaries that I usually identify "me." Therefore, at any point in time, an infinity of limits and edges await my exploration and growth. Physically these limits are experienced as muscle tension, restricted movement, and pain. Psychologically, limits are experienced as dogma, ignorance, and fear. These limits have the potential to continually change and restructure themselves.

For example, if I sit on the Floor and try to reach over to touch my toes, I notice that I can only reach to within five inches of my toes before I experience tension and slight pain. At this point I am experiencing one of my boundaries. This point, this "edge," is a highly important place, for within the cosmology this edge is considered to be the creative teacher. If I approach this teacher/edge with love, sensitivity, and awareness, I will discover that my teacher/edge will move and allow me a greater range of motion. If I shy away from approaching my teacher/edge, I will learn nothing new, and, in time, my own dogma/tightness will contract upon itself and will grow even tighter. If I try to blast past my edge, I might fool myself into thinking that I have learned and expanded, but in fact what sometimes happens is that I am only impressing myself with a temporary surge of ambition; this feeling, too, might contract upon itself with insecurity, tension, and fear. Physically, when I approach my edge gently and consciously, my body responds by focusing energy and attention on this spot, encouraging the blood and energy to bathe the related muscles and organs with vitality and life, thus allowing me the experience of true growth and self-nourishment. But if I do not try to reach my edge, my body, having no point of focus, will find it difficult to isolate the place and nourish it, and little growth and improvement will follow.

The implication of this yoga perspective is that health, dis-ease, love, and personal growth are all aspects of the way in which you deal with yourself and your own potential for growth. So, rather than seeing the body and mind in terms of how they relate to each other pathologically, with primary focus on therapeutic release From trauma and unconscious conflict, the yogic perspective the opening and freeing of the body's energies as explorations in search of self-awareness and higher understanding"

Ken Brentwald / Yoga Journal / Jan-Feb 1978

Additional yoga resources: Rodney Yee videos in the library, local studios (e.g. Lotus Garden … $14 for 14 days introductory offer!), and Sivananda (near Grass Valley) for weekend or week-long stays.

How to defy the effects of aging? Superagers (4:41 video) or NY Times text. Hint: Being a “superager” ain’t comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the objects if this blog is to elevate civil discourse. Please do your part by presenting arguments rather than attacks or unfounded accusations.

Cats with jobs

  pic.twitter.com/tZ2t2cTr8d — cats with jobs 🛠 (@CatWorkers) April 18, 2024